Monday, April 21, 2008

I won't let another month pass me by...

Apologies to the few that might actually check this blog on a regular basis. A former teacher of mine once said that artists are sexually frustrated. I will admit, I have neglected my journalistic duties in favor of a job search and social life.

The month of March has been momentous. Since mid-February, I have been in the process of making a very big and very difficult decision. A decision that required a change in paradigm, a commitment of faith and the courage to make my dreams reality- I decided to move to Cape Town (temporarily). I could rattle off a slew of reasons as to why this decision is the best for me at this point in my life, but let's not beat around the bush: I'm in love and I don't see an end.

Defying the laws of expiration dating was not something I had in mind when I disembarked for this trip abroad. I'll be honest, attaining a South African boyfriend was on my short list of "things to do." Not to mention an Afrikaans man would definitely earn bonus points. But I had ab.so.lute.ly no intention of anything developing into a serious, committed relationship.

I am well aware that this reality was and is one of my mother's worst fears. Her only daughter running off across the pond, falling in love, and paralleling the path of her older sister. Just like a classic novel reveals its ending in the first chapter so has Murphy's law made this fear into reality. Granted, I sympathize with my family and friends. How unfair it is to have someone you love and cherish (blush) start a new life to include a man you haven't met, in another hemisphere, and... and...

This is a choice I've made. It doesn't put anyone in harm, it offers me a new adventure in life and the opportunity to find happiness with another person. My "life partner" visa will last for three years, enough time for me to flesh out this relationship and determine my next step in life. But I'm really just in it for the world cup... (j/k)

No comments: